Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Socks

I recently finished knitting socks for my 6 year old niece. Normally kids feel the same way about knitted goods as I feel about pickled eggs - they're for other people and not something that I particularly want to try. My niece on the other hand has been trained from an early age by my mother that the true path to happiness is to have custom clothing for every event (day).

My mom is a handsewing seamstress and she frequently makes clothes for the 6 year old to match whatever vision the kid has. She started knitting her things a year ago when Z (my niece) went to her and asked for a sweater that is black on one side and red on the other and that she wanted one of those rope things up the middle bringing the two colours together. My mom made it and my niece happily paired it with a pair of jeans and red cowgirl boots. She's six. Why does she have a more developed fashion sense than I do?

Anyway she found out that I knit and that I knit very different kinds of things from my mom. (My mom is an avowed wool hater and will only knit with acrylic. This would be just fine if her other criteria was not that it be as inexpensive as possible. Sweaters made by her are made in an acrylic so heavy and rough feeling it could be used to make industrial carpets. And yes she does indeed call me a fibre snob).

So my niece asked me to knit her a pair of socks and as always she was very specific. They should be Pink, red, and purple in stripes and stop just above her ankles.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

What do you think? Will her highness be pleased?

No comments: